Gut health is all the rage these days… maybe it’s just me being completely bombarded with conflicting strategies to ‘solve’ or ‘heal’ my gut. Let’s be honest – one size doesn’t fit all.
I have been dealing with gut issues for over 15 years, specifically Crohn’s disease. It has been years of trial and error, years of ups and downs – and what I know for sure is this:
Stress can make or break how my gut / body feels and reacts to everything.
Read that last line again.
Knowing that stress has such a massive impact on my well being I am conscious to take preventative action in keeping it at bay. I have daily rituals that help and I have little rules for myself that all help!
Using my Yoga Tune Up Fitness Balls to roll out my back – self care is part of my stress release…
Here are a few other simple things I do that help me (and can maybe help you too!):
- Plan ahead (this helps to account for any issues that may arise – for me or now with kids its a whole new ballgame)!
- Have a schedule and stick to it – knowing what I am doing or what the girls are doing on a daily basis makes for easier days (*we do veer from our schedule for special occasions, suppers, birthdays etc).
- Get a workout in everyday. I make sure to either get a good sweat / Pilates session (*Pilates is where I disconnect and think only in the present moment).
- Stop and take a deep breath. It sounds simple but often when the day turns crazy (girls or other!) I stop, close my eyes and take a breath – this always helps.
- Take a day for me time (this can be anything from spa, coffee with a good friend or a good book) – I usually try to get these in during the week when the girls are at daycare, it helps that I don’t have the added thought over getting a babysitter. It’s worth it to move clients around – I always feel better in the end. Bonus, it doesn’t take away from family time on the weekends (these are priceless and I wouldn’t trade them for anything)!
- Sleep. I am a stickler on bedtimes – for the girls and me! I make sure to get my 7+ hours every night, and with a 5am wake up (have you checked out my Morning Routine blog) that means in bed, lights out by 10pm.
- Sitting down and going over my goals for business, family and life in general helps keep things in perspective – the more planned out or clear my path is the less daily stress I feel. I try to do this at least once a month if not weekly.
- If I didn’t include people in this list I would be lying. I try to surround myself with the people who lift me up – the people who make me feel good about who I am and want to know me as me. Being my authentic self is the best stress reliever of all!
- Finally – gratitude. Take time each and every day to be grateful. Show some love for the people and the life you’ve built. Take notice of everything that surrounds you.
“The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see”
– Mary Davis
I can honestly say all of these things have contributed to my overall (gut) health and well being – I feel such a difference in my life, mainly my health when I stick to it!! It’s a short list of simple things that can make the world of difference.
I love hearing from you guys – send any tips my way, I am always looking for new ways to keep my life as stress free as possible!
SIGN UP + NEVER MISS A POST